Trivia & Fun Facts:
- Did you know that the average lifespan of a baseball is 5-7 pitches?
- Did you know that the Owner of the Chicago Cubs, Bill Veeck, used to have midgets as food vendors at home ground, because he said that the paying public wouldn't have their view of the game spoiled!
- How big is the world's largest Baseball Bat? It's only 120 ft. long and weighing 68,000 pounds! It's to resemble the 34 in wooden bat that the Bambino (Babe Ruth Swung), made by Louisville Slugger. This bat is located at the Louisville Slugger Museum in Kentucky (800 West Main St.).
- Who is the shortest Major League Baseball Player? Edward Carl "Eddie" Gaedel from Chicago Illionois, an American dwarf who was secretly signed by the St. Louis Browns, and was only 3 feet 7 inches tall, weighing 65 pounds, and his number on his uniform was 1/8! His strike out zone was only an inch and a half, and he reached base on four consecutive balls that were all high! his autograph sells more than Babe Ruth's!
- Who has the Longest Baseball Throw on record? (hint: he's Canadian!) This was in 1957, the speed was 120mph, he was a Canadian minor leaguer, the baseball covered a total of 445 feet 10 inches before hitting the ground and broke the previous record of 445 feet 1 inch set by Don Grate in 1956. The answer is Glen Edward Gorbous, 6 ft. 2 in. tall, weighing 175 pounds, so weight had nothing to do with it. He threw right, batted left, and he played for the Dodgers and then traded to the Cincinnati Redlegs in 1954!
- What was the longest baseball game, based on time? May 09, 1984, the game went 25 innings, 8 hours and 6 minutes! The players had to come back the next day to finish because the MLB rules states the game cannot beging after 12:59am! This the Milwaukee Brewers and the Chicago White Sox (win 7-6 on a Harold Baine's home run in the 25th inning!).
- Who has the highest lifetime batting average of 0.367? Ty Cobb
- Who hit the most homers of 868 during his 22 year career? Tokyo Giants Sadahara Oh
- Who holds the record for most games won (511) and most games lost (316)? Cy Young
- Who was the first to hit a major league triple in 1876? Levi Meyerle
- Who was the first athlete to compete in the World Series and the Superbowl? Deion Sanders
- Which team won more regular season games than any other pro team in ANY sport? The Chicago Cubs
- Which team won the most league pennents and also won the most World Series? The Yankees
- One day the Devil challenged the Lord to a baseball game. Smiling the Lord proclaimed, "You don't stand a chance! I have Babe Ruth, Mickey Mantle, and all the greatest players up here!" "Yes," snickered the devil, "but I have all the umpires."
- "Little League Baseball is a very good thing because it keeps parents off the streets." - Yogi Berra
- "There are three types of baseball players: those who make it happen, those who watch it happen, and those who wonder what happens." - Tommy Lasorda
Once again, Happy Birthday John!! Hope your birthday is a grand slam!